18 January 2008

A Post That's Actually From Montevideo....

Mkay, so we're all here safe and sound. No lost luggage or major incidences. We didn't even have our bags checked at the airport. I think that was for lack of language skills, though, because the guy asked me if I spoke Spanish and waved me through when I said no... :D Ignorance is occasionally very handy.

Just a quick rundown of what we've done so far, in chronological order, based solely on my sleep-deprived memory:

3 hour flight from Dallas to Miami and 9 hour flight from Miami to Montevideo.

Drive through Montevideo in ACU vans and get a feel for the town.

Stop at a beach (where no one actually swims, apparently) and climb around on the hill and rocks along the water. We also took a group pic here, which I'll post if I can figure out how.

Eat lunch at Casa ACU (empanadas with a choice of chicken, beef, cheese, and/or corn). It was wonderful, by the way.

Pick rooms and roommates. Start unpacking (I'm not really done at all yet but some people are).

Scavenger hunt around our neighbourhood to figure out where the big shopping center was, how to exchange money and send postcards, etc.

Eat dinner at a nearby restaurant.

Walk home with Karen, Katie, and Krista Cukrowski and Josh Alkire while everyone else goes to the beach. Impressively, we didn't get lost at all and only made one wrong turn, onto the street we live on. Then we realized we were walking the wrong direction and turned around... Yeah us!!

Take a shower (fascinating, I know) and generally prepare for bed.

Watch some people play cards for a little while.

Pass out on my bed.

Wake up for a wonderful breakfast at 9.

Orientation (ie safety tips and rules) from 10-12:30.

Lunch, which was rice with a chicken soupish thing (again delicious), broccoli, salad, and rolls.

More orientation.

A tour of the church next door/in our building. This is where our classes will be. We also got to see the roof and clock tower on the roof, which is a big treat because most groups don't get to see it, apparently. It was hot up there, but really awesome.

Free time, which K4 and I used to go to Tres Cruces (a mall with normal stores, bus kiosks, a food court, and a bank).

Dinner at Tres Cruces. The beef here is amazing, if anyone's curious.

Internet time..... And now you're up to date, as far as I can remember.

Ok. Now some quick impressions:

Montevideo reminds me of Italy so much that I keep speaking the small amount of Italian I know to people. I also have been speaking a little French.

The shops here are really cool.

Casa ACU, which I'll blog more about later, has a really cool and slightly confusing layout.

I really wish I spoke some Spanish.

Latin is really helpful when I'm trying to read stuff.

I'm really just generally glad that I'm here, even if I do miss people (and my cats) back in the States.

Love you all and I'll blog more later but for now I'm going to go try to be social!

4 comments:

Mary said...

Hey Sarah! Mary "Foster" Riedel here. Thanks for blogging about your experiences in Montevideo - I need Mark to do that too! I went there in the Spring of 2003 - five years ago. It seems like only yesterday...

Kayla said...

I miss you like mad. Are you ready to come back yet?? Just kiding, I know that you're going to have an amazing semester. My comp is still botten which is my explanation of why I haven't been emailing, facebooking, and messaging you daily. But soon! I love you, babe!

X-Phile said...

Yeah, I told Mark that he needed to start blogging for you and he told me that you're a stalker.... :D
Don't you just love little brothers!
Anywho, if there's anything you can remember that I absolutely have to do while I'm here, let me know. I don't want to miss out on anything cool.

Kayla said...

I thought I left a comment here. But apparently not. :( I slept in your bed last night. It smells like you. And I went to mass on sunday and thought of you. And i went into the science building today (it's scary by myself) and it reminded me of you too. Needless to say, I'm thinking about you. I keep wanting to text you cool things like when heath ledger died, or when pan does something adorable, or your brother does something silly (you should hear him talk about kingdom hearts. scratch that, i'm glad that we're both not being driven crazy by kingdom hearts!!) But i love you. and I miss you and hopet this posts this time. :)